Tuesday, July 9, 2013

San Francisco Favorites

 
I just helped a friend with some travel info for an upcoming trip, so I thought today I would provide a list of some of my favorite places in San Francisco. I often have friends traveling there and love to give some fun recommendations. Since I don't live there and am only there about once a year at best, I am certainly not the most up to date on the most "in" places, but I have accumulated a few great finds and tried and true places that I visit time and time again.

Great Places to Stay
Splurges:
  • The Fairmont- To me this is the iconic SF hotel. It sits high atop Nob Hill and is just the epitome of old fashioned SF glamour.
  • Cavallo Point Lodge- while this is located in Marin county and not in the city itself they do offer free shuttles into Town multiple times per day making it a great getaway from the hustle and bustle. I highly recommend the spa and splurging for a suite!
  • Hotel Vitale- The location on the Embarcadero is a great launching point for exploring the city and the rooftop view is amazing!
More affordable:
  • The Mark Hopkins- This hotel also sits on Nob Hill just across from the Fairmont. It is the a similar style as a discounted price. The rooms and lobby are not quite as plush as its comparison, but it is more interesting than your typical hotel.
Things to Do
  • Bike or walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. You can ride all over SF and the areas surrounding the bay. This is a great way to get some exercise to earn your dinner for later!
  • Climb the Flibert Steps to Coit Tower. Wind your way through the back yards of some interesting houses as you climb your way up to Coit Tower. Then take the time to see the tower itself. This is a great place for views and for the cool art deco murals inside.
  • See Golden Gate Park. This park is huge and has so much to offer. Pick up a map and pick an area to explore. I like seeing the animals as well as the Japanese Tea Gardens and the Windmill near the beach!
  • Ride a cable car!
  • Be at the Ferry Building for the Saturday morning market. Plan on staying to eat breakfast and maybe lunch. I could spend all day here, but they typically pack up by 1 pm. Go early for the best selection and the most food choices.
  • Take public transportation and or walk. Especially being from Atlanta, I love that even the buses are efficient and clean.
  • Take a Tour. There are tons, but I recommend the following:
Places to Drink
Places to Eat





No comments: