Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fall Wine Weekend

For the first time in a while, I have a three day weekend! In thinking through what I might possibly do to fill these days with more relaxation and less laundry, I started thinking about short day trips near Atlanta. As readers know, I love wine and wine tasting. I have explored a few of the North GA wineries and written about them in past postings. This weekend I decided to take advantage of the Fall harvest festivals going on at some of the wineries on the North GA Wine Trail.  Georgia and North Carolina have an astounding number of wineries, and some of them are quite good. The Wine Growers Association of Georgia sponsors great information and events to draw more people to the wineries.  This weekend several wineries have planned events featuring free, crafts, music, wine tastings, and winery tours. In planning my trip, I came across a number of great options. We could have been wine tasting for three or four days.  I was easily able to plan a day with 3-4 wineries to visit and plan a stop for lunch in between. This weekend I will be heading to Three Sisters Vineyard for a BBQ lunch with music and wine tasting, followed by a tour at Wolf Mountain Vineyards, and then a stop at Frog Town Cellars, and wrapping up the trip at Yonah Mountain Vineyards

There were so many to choose from, but you have to plan carefully to avoid driving an hour between wineries on little mountain roads (after a wine tasting no less)! On my next round, I hope to get to Tiger Mountain Vineyards, and Persimmon Creek in North GA then venture into NC for the newest wine hit Chianti (yes like in Italy) at Raffaldini Vineyards near Hickory NC.

Be sure to check back next week for more pictures and thoughts from my great wine escape!

No comments: