Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pain aux Raisin

Paris, city of lights, city of food. After two weeks in France, Paris still holds a special place in my heart. One of the few benefits of my 6:30 am landing at CDG was arriving in the city and being welcomed by the smell of fresh baked bread. I had heard the stories a million times, Parisians are addicted to their bread. Now I know why. The smells waft from every street corner, and the city seems to have more bakeries than Seattle has Starbucks. Our first treats came from an amazing and small artisan baker, just three doors down from our hotel. I went in search of a chocolate croissant, but came out with something even more delicious pain aux raisin. This sweet bread had a custard like filling between its spiral layers and was loaded with plump sweet raisins.

No comments: