Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Tomato and Onion Tart

All summer, I have been enjoying tomatoes. This is a recent experience for me, the person who wouldn't touch a tomato, that was not a part of salsa or spaghetti, until after college. This year, I think they have been particularly sweet.

This week I began thinking about a tomato tart. Several cooking shows and food blogs I like have been featuring them the past month, so I thought I would give one a try. I combined recipes from David Lebovitz, Epicurious, and Southern Living, to create my own little tart.

The recipe has elements of french and italian, but seems to lean toward the french.

I started with one sheet of pre-made Pepperidge Farm pastry (from the freezer section).
In a greased tart or pie pan, spread the pastry dough to cover the bottom, forming the sides so they are even with the lip of the pan. Brush the shell with olive oil.

Slice 2-3 medium size tomatoes. ( I saw another recipe with heirloom tomatoes. Those will be included next week). Slice one medium Vidalia onion and saute with 2 tbsp of olive oil.  Mince 1/2 cup italian parsley and 1/4 cup basil. Purchase or slice your self 1/4 cup Kalamata olives.

Create a thin layer of tomatoes in the bottom of the pan, then layer with onions, olives, herbs and crumbed chevre. Add course sea salt and pepper to taste. Repeat layers until they are level with the top of the crust, then add additional cheese crumbles.

Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees. You may want to watch the tart and cover with foil to prevent it from browning more than you like. At the end, expose to the broiler if needed to brown and melt cheese.

Serve with a green salad.

 I was pleased with its appearance, taste, and how easy it was to put together and serve. Next weekend, I am going to alter the recipe a bit and make my own crust.

Happy Summer and Enjoy!

No comments: