Sunday, January 22, 2012

Wurstkuche Venice Beach

We discovered Wurstkuche in Los Angeles through a great Huffington Post article showcasing Zagat's best single item focused menus in America.  It is important to note that I found the article through a friend, Neel Sengupta, partner in Crepe Revolution here in Smyrna/ Vinings. They made this short list for their tasty crepes. If you haven't tried their great specialties or one of their wine or beer nights you should! They offer a laid back atmosphere with high end flavors.

Now back to Wurstkuche, after reading the article, my mouth was watering to try all of these great spots. I was excited to know my in-laws were also eager to try their city's contributor. Driving through Venice, you could easily pass this place among the bike shops, boutiques and bars, but once you head inside, the space certainly stands out. The room is a rough and rustic combination of  barn wood panels and smooth concrete. The front counter gleams full of their selection of about 20 types of house made sausages. What caught my eye however were the numerous taps running the length of the room. Not only do they sell gourmet sausages prepared in inventive ways, along with sides of thick cut Belgian fries, they have about 20 beers on tap, and many more in bottles. I was in heaven.  It was hard to choose, but I decided on the mango and jalapeno chicken sausage served on a soft toasted bun with caramelized onions and hot pickled peppers and nice cold  Houblon Chouffe.
Tasty Lunch

Lucky for me my family members all ordered a variety of sausages. I sampled everything from the duck with bacon and jalapenos to the traditional bratwurst. Each sausage had a distinct flavor and style. I am envious of my in-laws proximity to this little gem. Now I have one more reason to love LA.

No comments: