Thursday, April 23, 2009

Las Palmeras- A Tiny Cuban Treat!


I must say that I was saddened by the closing of Kool Korners Groceries on 14th. As a former Tech student, I was initated into the system of waiting in the line for great Cuban sandwiches while studying the random assortment of grocery items over 10 years ago.

I had been craving those sandwiches and continually dissappointed by other attempts, until I recently made a move to Midtown and discovered a gem right up the street from my house!

Hidden among the bungalows on 5th street Las Palmeras is a tiny storefront with alot to offer. This quirky Cuban spot is a true find. The staff are friendly and welcome you to thier small dining room or great patio. They are closed Sunday-Tuesday, but offer lunch and dinner the rest of the week. The menu features the traditional Cuban favorites, empanadas, vaca frita, great chicken, and of course the cuban sandwiches.

These sandwiches are fresh, the pork and ham have very little fat compared to other local sandwiches I have tried. The bread is authentic, and they come with pickles, mustard, cheese, and a hint of sauce. Delicious!

Lunch combos are reasonably priced to offer smaller portions that wont have you crawling under your desk for a nap. Pick up a half a Cuban with rice and beans, my favorite lunch treat.
Recently I made my way over for dinner. With the warm weather the porch was perfect. I ordered the pork with rice and beans. It was delicious with a tangy lemon and onion topping. To finish off the meal, I chose the mango cream pie, yes mango! This was similar to a key lime pie, but much more creamy and very sweet. Overall a great summer meal!
This is one spot worth leaving the office for, or making your way to from a Saturday afternoon in the park!


Las Palmeras
368 5th St NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 872-0846

No comments: