Monday, April 27, 2009

Travel Post- A Table in Asheville, NC


I was born in Asheville, NC, but my family moved to Atlanta when I was in kindergarten, so it wasn't until my parents bought another home there 7 years ago that I got a chance to experience all the great things this city has to offer.

The food scene in Asheville is outstanding. There are a great variety of restaurants, the quality is outstanding, and the emphasis on locally grown/ raised food rivals many major cities.


I had ventured to Table, an eclectic downtown eatery, for a cozy dinner this winter and was not disappointed, but this weekend I decided to try the brunch. I was not let down! Table describes itself as market-driven, seasonal, new American cuisine. I call it deliciously creative.

The chefs and co-owners went to college in Asheville, ventured out for their culinary experiences and have come home with impressive training, and a great respect for what the region has to offer.

I ordered their southern version of eggs benedict featuring a biscuit, asparagus, and poached eggs. The plate arrived presented beautifully with field greens and the perfect amount of hollandaise. The eggs had a good consistency with just enough yolk to coat the biscuit, which stole the show.

My mother (a southern food queen) after one bite, was not offended by my declaring it the best biscuit I had ever eaten. Now I am a fan of biscuits, my grandmother's, my mother's, the original Flying Biscuit to name a few, but this flaky masterpiece highlighted the entire dish.

The menu features favorites like bacon and eggs, as well as a Table take on the croque monsieur and croque madame, house-made bagels and a delicious fried chicken with those amazing biscuits.

Table has an open kitchen and a friendly wait staff. The atmosphere reminds me of some smaller out of the way places I love in Atlanta or in the East Village in Manhattan. The dark walls and floor give it a great feel, and the staff are laid back in Asheville style, but remain attentive to your needs. It was quiet crowded when I had dinner there, but not overwhelmed by Sunday brunch. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone venturing into Asheville, but looking for a little big city spin on their southern mountain experience.

Table
48 college st. asheville nc 28801
ph: 828.254.8980
http://tableasheville.com/

No comments: