Thursday, December 2, 2010

Craving Cocktails at H. Harper Station

On a cold Friday night a few weeks ago, I ventured out to H. Harper Station. They had a soft opening the previous Sunday, and I was curious to see the next restaurant to fill the long vacant Atlanta & West Point rail station in Reynoldstown. Walking in the decor had changed some from the look of Depot, the previous tenant. New retro green milk glass chandeliers and trendy Edison style filament light bulbs hung over the tables and an entertaining small plate prep area was located at the end of the lengthy bar.

Surprisingly, we were seated immediately at 8 pm on a Friday night. I assume that there is much more of a wait now, but reservations are available online at Opentable. We perused the cocktail menu and were pleased to see many old fashioned drinks along side some inventive takes on the classics. The bar was well stocked with numerous choices for rye, gin, bourbon, wiskey, bitters, and housemade mixers. I chose the amulet, Hendricks gin with apricot brandy, dolin dry, grapefruit, and pernod. My date chose an old fashioned. My cocktail arrived in a cute old fashioned champagne style glass, a nice touch to the retro drinks.

The menu ranged from small bites to larger plates with a lean toward the southern. We started with the relish tray, for two. A nice plate arrived featuring pimento cheese, pickled veggies, and deviled eggs. This seems to be popular at restaurants today, but I can hapily say the pimento cheese stands out as one of my favorites, and the deviled eggs were delicous, different from many I have tried (in a good way).

Next we chose to diversify our order and had the parsnip and fennel soup along side the chicken salad sandwich, and the Springer Mountain chicken and mushrooms. The soup arrived thick and creamy. Much better texture than I expected from the ingrediants. This was so warm and flavorful. A perfect start to a comfort meal on a cold evening.

The chicken salad sandwich was fine, but nothing to write home about. We southern women are particular about our chicken salad. The chicken and mushrooms however was perfect. The chicken was roasted and served under a puree of rosemary infused pumpkin and over carmelized onions, carrots, mushrooms and toasted pumpkin seeds. The flavors were rich and distinct and the texture of the smooth onions with the pumpkin seeds was perfect. This was the confort dish I was seeking.

Overall H. Harper Station is somewhere I will return. Next time, I think I will plan to plant myself at the bar and enjoy a few more of ther great cocktails, while trying out a few more items on the menu.

No comments: